Monday, April 25, 2005

Monday Morning Mehta - 4/25/05

Edition # 116
April 25, 2005

www.mondaymorningmehta.blogspot.com

Sorry for the late sendoff to all of the loyal readers (Frank), I was on a plane heading to Minneapolis this morning.

Phils/Baseball

There really isn't much to talk about this team that hasn't already been said. A 2-5 week puts this team in last place and in deep danger of losing a lot more fans than they've already lost in the offseason. This is the same fundamentally inept, anti-clutch hitting, shaky pitching team we've seen the past 3 years. A wise man once said, "Insanity is defined by doing the same thing and expecting a different result". A couple more weeks of this and I'm going to have to lead with the Shell Houston Open.

Let's start at the top:

- Jimmy Rollins is the same .330 on base % guy he's been his whole first 4 years of his career. He strikes out less but still do anything it takes to get on base. His last walk was April 11th. He's as much to blame for the inconsistency of this offense as anyone. Great defensive shortstop, but on offense the words 'fundamentally stupid' comes to mind.

- Placido Polanco vs. Chase Utley. We know what Polanco is. He's steady and nothing great, hence we wanted to dump him in the offseason. The defining moment for Chase Utley came this year when he was the hero of the Phillies 1-0 win over the Braves last Saturday over John Smoltz. He was then promptly benched the next two nights. If you can hit John Smoltz I think you've earned the right to at least try and hit Kaz Ishii, don't you?

- Bobby Abreu. Again, there isn't much that's going to change here. I like Bobby, he's consistently on base, but you've pretty much gotten the best Abreu years the last two years and don't expect too much improvement.

- Jim Thome. It's a long season, but the Jim Thome of 2003 seems long gone. His patience at the plate is a thing of the past too. In 9 seasons in Cleveland Jim only had one season where he had an OB% under .400. He averaged close to .430. Since joining the Phillies he hasn't cracked .380.

- Pat Burrell. This is the only area of possible upside on this team. Burrell looks like he's going to have a decent season.

- Kenny Loften & J Michaels. I feel mediocre just writing those two names.

- Mike Lieberthal. I can't express the amount of hatred I have for this guy. For anyone that thinks Lieberthal still has it, you just don't watch the games. He's done. And we have 1 year and 5 more months of watching him.

- David Bell. Again, doesn't get too much more mediocre.

-Starters. Lieber is 4-0 which means the Phils are 4-11 in games not started by Lieber. Randy Wolf is nowhere close to the Wolf of 2002/03. Brett Myers has been good but Padilla, Lidle and Floyd have not.

- Relievers. Tim Worrell has been horrendous. Rheal Cormier has been mad. Ryan Madson has struggled mightily, and even Billy Wagner hasn't been lights out. This bullpen is and will kill this team.
So there you have it. It's early in the season and this team will play better. They'll probably end up even flirting with a wild card spot. But just like the last two years, they just won't have the horses to contend in the end.

NFL Draft

In what I thought was one of the most boring NFL drafts in recent memory, the Eagles had to wait for about 6 hours before finally selecting their first pick, Mike Patterson, DT out of USC. The Eagles selected 10 players in all, 6 in the first 4 rounds.

It takes at least 3 seasons to really judge a draft. So for all of my fellow pundits who have given the Eagles A's for the draft, it's really quite ridiculous. I wouldn't expect more than one player to make any kind of immediate impact on offense or defense. Expect a few of these guys to make special teams noise though this year.

By far the worst thing about this pick is Patterson's nickname, Baby Sapp. While Sapp had some dominating seasons, the offices of MMM aren't exactly the headquarters for the Sapp fanclub. I hope his game is bigger than his mouth, which is more than we can say for Father Sapp.

Maurice Clarett was shockingly taken on the first day of the draft, with the final pick of the 3rd round by Mike Shanahan. This could be a great spot for Clarett, but many people will hope he fails. But I mean really, which late 3rd rounder isn't a question mark?

The biggest head scratcher of the draft could have been by the Detroit Lions. Don't get me wrong, Mike Williams of USC has stud potential. But the Lions have now taken Charles Rodgers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams with their last 3 first round picks, all of which were top 10. That being said, Roy and Mike Williams is a fierce WR duo for years. Unfortunately they have Joey Harrington throwing to them.

NBA - Derreck Sura

- All of this was written before the playoffs began, so I could get my predictions in before the series' started (I went 6-4 on my game predictions last week).

- The Sixers went 2-0 this week, to finish up at 43-39, which was good for the 7th seed in the East. More on their playoff match up a little further down. I know that, led by Stephen A. Smith, coach Jim O'Brien has been taking a lot of heat in Philly recently. That's why I'm going to outline what I think the Sixers' rotation should be for the playoffs before hand. I'm not going to second guess after the fact and say, "He should've done this" or "Why didn't he do that". I know that's the Negadelphia way, but we prefer to be a little more upbeat here on the West Coast, so this is my attempt to "first guess" what Obie should do.

Starters (+/-)

PG Allen Iverson (+4.5) - Obviously he needs to do it all, and a little bit of everything else. It's hard to ask for more then 30.7 ppg, 7.9 apg, and 2.4 spg from anyone, but I'd probably up AI's minutes from 42.3 to the 44-45 mpg range. For the Sixers to have any shot at all of advancing, he's going to need to keep his turnovers down, and make a supreme effort (for him) to get, and keep, everyone involved regardless of how the game is going.

SG Kyle Korver (+4.7) - I really can't figure out who's idea it was, or why the charade is still going on, but KK is a SG, and not a SF. He's just not athletic enough to defend SF's, plain and simple. With that out of the way, KK really has to show me something in the playoffs. He can't have more then 1 game where he fades into the woodwork. The Sixers need him produce, or at least seem like a threat to produce. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that KK is going to be exposed in this post season.

SF Andre Iguodala (+1.6) - Legends are born, and legacy's cemented, in the second season my boy. I'd like to see less jumpers from AI2, and more drives to the basket. Not necessarily to finish though. AI2 is an underrated passer, and he usually makes good decisions with the ball too. This will take some of the pressure off the original AI to constantly be play making for everyone else. It goes without saying at this point that AI2 will guard the other team's best player, and do a pretty damn good job of it.

PF Chris Webber (+1.5) - He's the wild card. No doubt about it. I know the shoulder is bothering him. So what? There's no excuses this time of year (although that's probably a hard habit to break for a serial whiner like C-Web). He needs to get his mind into the game, team, and city first of all. After that, his talent should take care of the rest. The Sixers need him to really hit the glass, and be smart with ball. He should pick his spots to take his man one on one, and move the ball quickly the rest of the time, so the offense doesn't bog down waiting on him to make a decision. Above all though, my plea to him is simple....."Chris, please, just try and have a positive outlook BEFORE tip off and throughout the game. Just try it, and who knows, you might like it."

C Samuel Dalembert (+3.1) - I expect that Sam D wants to make a rather large impression on the rest of the league as he heads into restricted free agency. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see some 15 point, 15 rebound, 6 block games out of him. Problem is, for that to happen, Sammy has to stay out of foul trouble. Which means he must have his head in the game at all times and play smart on the defensive end. Any offense from him is a bonus (Ever wonder how many points he could score if he could consistently catch and finish all those alley oops?), so his main responsibility is to have his teammate's backs, and crash the boards.

Rotation Players

6TH MAN Marc Jackson (+1.5) -Say what you want about the "Walrus" (My nickname for him, since he sounds like a male walrus trying to attract a mate every time he takes a contested shot under the basket. Not to mention he kind of looks like the walrus from the Mos Eisley Cantina scene in the original 'Star Wars'.), but he has been a very valuable Sixer this season. He will need to back up the PF and C positions, and continue to work hard and hustle on offense. It would be nice if he could divide up some of his offensive effort for rebounding or playing defense, but you can only ask so much from a walrus.

Rodney Rogers (-3.3) - I'm not a big fan of RR. At this point of his career, he is what he is. Which is an inconsistent 3 point shooter who doesn't defend or rebound. So he's basically a big body with decent athleticism for his size. It's not like the Sixers have a lot of options off the pine though, and RR will need to back up the SF and PF positions. I'd like him to come in, bang around, use his fouls, hopefully grab some boards, only shoot if he's open, and not shoot at all if his J isn't falling.

Aaron McKie (+1.6) - Since it's the playoffs, it's time for the decrepit McKie to step up and contribute. I know he's got nothing left, AT ALL, but he does play smart and has more playoff experience then anyone behind him. Aaron is going to have be a jack-of-all-trades and back up the PG, SG, and SF positions. Seems crazy, I know, especially with the youngsters (more on them below) waiting in the wings, but I don't really trust any of them to play smart or under control. Aaron's most important task is handling the PG duties when AI is out of the game, and making sure the team doesn't fall apart while AI is getting a rest. Other then that, McKie should D up, move the ball on O, and only shoot wide open shots.

Deep Bench

Josh Davis (+6.6) - Why him first you ask? Because he has a discernable talent, which is more then I can say for the rest on this list. If the Sixers are ever behind big, Davis gives them an energy player off the bench that can hit a 3 pointer.

John Salmons (-5.1) - I have no idea what this guy does at an NBA level? He certainly does a little bit of everything, but the Sixers already have somebody (AI2) filling that role better then he ever could.

Willie Green (-6.5) - I flat out don't trust him enough to play him. Too me first and too out of control to get minutes in the playoffs.

Kevin Ollie (+2.3) - I'm not sure I'd even have him on the active roster, but his contract (through '07-08) is one year shorter then the departed Eric Snow's was.

Michael Bradley (+7.2) - Even if he doesn't play at all, I'd feel better with another big body on the active roster. Just in case.

- Now for the tap dancing portion of the program, as I go over the hits and misses from my pre-season predictions.

EAST 6 of 8

I had out, but made it in
Chicago (47-35) - I didn't see this one coming at all. I thought, same old Bulls. Another season, another lottery pick. I mean, who would've thought Chicago would lead the league in defensive field goal percentage? Not me, that's for sure.
New Jersey (42-40) - When I made my predictions back in October, the Nets just had too many "ifs" for me, and they were all related to Jason Kidd. Can he recover from micro-fracture knee surgery? If he does, will he be happy with the new makeup of the team? If he isn't, will he pout to the point of tanking in order to get traded? Obviously that was enough for me to have them just miss out, but I did say way back when that if Kidd was into it, NJ had a chance to make the playoffs. I'd say 14.4 ppg, 8.3 apg, 7.4 rpg, 1.86 spg, and a 3.26 a/to ratio was into it.

In but Out
New York (33-49) - I didn't really like this Knick team on paper before the season, and somehow (cough...Isiah Thomas...ahem) it's worse now. I picked NY to make the playoffs because I thought the East would be just as putrid as it was in the '03-04 season (the 4th seed was 42-40, and the 8th was 36-46). I basically just couldn't come up with 7 teams that I thought would be better then the Knicks. Sad, eh? Low and behold, the East improved, and I'm thankful for it, because it's better for the overall health of the NBA to have two viable conferences in the public's eye.

Cleveland (42-40) - This is truly a bummer for me, because like most fans of the game, I really wanted to see LeBron James in the playoffs. I guess in the end though, the rest of the team just wasn't good enough. One has to wonder how Bron is feeling after missing the post season by 2 games in his rookie year, and 1 game this season. I also have to question the prudence of making a coaching change with 18 games left in the thick of the playoff chase. You can be sure that new owner Dan Gilbert will be doing everything under the sun this summer to keep Bron happy in Cleveland and protect his 375 million dollar investment. Gilbert's first move came swiftly on Thursday when he sent GM Jim Paxson's head rolling into lake Erie from the guillotine, but only after OK'ing it (and every other move he plans to make, I'm sure) with Bron first.

WEST 5 of 8

Out but In
Phoenix (62-20) - My choice for the 8th playoff spot in the West came down to the Lakers or the Suns, and I chose Los Angeles because I thought they had more "inside presence". I'm not saying that I had any idea that Phoenix would have the best record in the league, or revolutionize the way NBA people think successful basketball can be played, but I was oh so very close to picking them #8 back in October. I really was.

Seattle (52-30) - I have no problem taking the hit here, because I never ever thought the Sonics had
any chance to make the playoffs. I was pretty sure they would be entertaining, but not very successful. I was wrong.

Memphis (45-37) - My rational for the Grizzlies missing the playoffs in the pre-season was I figured that the players would get tired of then coach Hubie Brown's system, and basically tune him out, knowing that it was his last year on the bench anyway. Well that whole scenario came to fruition much faster then I anticipated, and Hubie was gone after 12 games. Give Hubie credit for that, because he could've stuck around for as long as he wanted to, but by him making the move so quickly, he gave Memphis a chance to make the playoffs. Which they did...barely.

In but Out
Minnesota (44-38) - I throw myself on the mercy of the court here. As your so called "NBA expert", I let every one of you (that waste your precious time reading my stuff) down. What else can I say? Other then it's embarrassing for someone that takes his job writing here far too seriously, to have the team he picked to win it all, not even make the playoffs. While I never would've picked the Timberwolves to miss the playoffs outright, it's not like there wasn't a few signs that things were going bad before the season even tipped off. I just chose to believe that Kevin Garnett had enough "juice" to make Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell put aside their ego's for the betterment of the team. Man, was that ever wrong. I have to say that even though KG had a great year number's wise (while playing on a bad knee for the majority of the season), I lost a little respect for him. Don't get me wrong, I still think he's a great player and all, top 5 in the NBA even, but he just doesn't seem to have the temperament in big situations that true super-stars do. In my own defense though, if Sam I Am doesn't miss 23 games, I think Minne would've been playing in the post season.

Utah (26-56) - I was super high on the Jazz before the season. They looked great on paper, and seemed to have a bunch of guys tailor made for coach Jerry Sloan's system. One problem, the team I envisioned being so good in October, never even got to play together. Carlos Arroyo, Matt Harpring, Andrei Kirilenko, Carlos Boozer, and Mehmet Okur never even logged a single minute as a 5 man unit for various reasons. After one of his best coaching jobs 2 years ago, I think that Sloan did a terrible job coaching this club. With AK-47 missing 41 games, there was no way Utah was going to make the playoffs anyway, but Sloan never settled on a rotation, and didn't even come close to adjusting to his player's strengths. I think this is a prime time for Jerry to step down.

Lakers (34-48) - Favorite team bias at work here? Maybe, but when I evaluated Los Angeles in the pre-season, I didn't count on Vlade Divac only appearing in 15 games and averaging 8.7 minutes per. I thought Vlade would be good for around 50 games at 22-28 minutes a night. I also didn't think coach Rudy Tomjanovich would quit after 43 games. Then you factor in Kobe Bryant missing 16 games, and Lamar Odom missing 18, and it's not hard to see why the season went the way it did. All the Laker haters are probably screaming "Hah, that's Karma baby!". Well, maybe so, and maybe not. Call me an apologist if you will, but if LA can acquire a pass first PG with some quickness, along with an athletic PF that can defend and rebound, they will be right back in the mix next year. Due to all the "issues" mentioned above, no one really knows what this team is capable of, but I suspect that they are not as bad as their record this season would indicate.

- Before I start breaking down the playoff series', it's very important when watching games this week, that you follow if the referees are calling the game the same way they did during the regular season. If things such as moving picks, hand checking on the perimeter, or both hands on a post player, aren't being called, then the more "free flowing" teams are going to struggle. That's not even mentioning how pissed I'm going to be if I see bogged down playoff basketball rear it's ugly head (again). Even though the casual fan may not have noticed (or be willing to admit), NBA games were much more aesthetically pleasing this year. I hope the commissioner handed down an edict instructing the refs to call the games the same way, because the league would be doing itself a disservice otherwise, and it would be a shame if the style of play regressed in the post season.

EAST

New Jersey v Miami - The return of Richard Jefferson (out since 1/8) has many people thinking the Nets are going to give the Heat some trouble. Granted, Miami has been struggling over the last month of play, while NJ has been one of the hottest teams in the league over that same stretch. Shaquille O'Neal's absence from the lineup has really been at the root of the Heat's struggles, and I don't buy for a second that he won't be ready to go come game 1. The Nets must push the ball at every opportunity, and try to turn each game into a track meet. In their half court sets NJ should use Shaq's man as the screener in as many pick and rolls as possible.

Key match up -Vince Carter & Dwyane Wade. This one should be worth the price of admission alone. Wade needs to avoid getting into a tit for tat battle with VC, and stay within the team concept. I think Vince still has something to prove, and this is the perfect stage for him to show what he's got. The main difference I see between these two is that Wade gets to the free throw line far more often then VC does, meaning fouls could become an issue for Carter.

Prediction - Miami might stumble a little bit early, but they will eventually get it together, and take care of business. Heat in 6.

Philadelphia v Detroit - The Pistons flipped the switch, and woke up from their season long slumber over the last three weeks of the season. You can tell they want another ring by the desire that is back in their eyes. The Sixers played some pretty good ball down the stretch to get into the playoffs, but I don't think they do anything as well as Detroit does. Philly has a tendency to bog down on offense at times, and the Pistons' defense is going to expose that weakness to frustrating levels. There is no pressure on the Sixers, so hopefully that helps Chris Webber relax, and then the rest of the team can use the experience as a building block going into next year.

Key match up - Allen Iverson & Chauncey Billups. AI has been playing out of his mind lately, so Chauncey is going to have his hands full. Billups is an above average defender though, so the best thing he can do is make AI work to bring the ball up the court intermittently over the course of the games. AI is going to have to reign in his gambling ways, and stay at home on CB. Leaving Chauncey open for 3's is very dangerous because Detroit rarely loses when Billups makes his shots.

Prediction - This is just a tune up for Detroit. Pistons in 5.

Indiana v Boston - These teams haven't played since 1/26, and a lot has changed for both clubs since that time. The Celtics prefer a more up and down style, while the Pacers like to grind it out in the half court. Boston has more depth, but Indy gets the edge in experience. The Celtics don't have much "inside presence", and rely on the fast break, penetration, and isolations to get their offense. The Pacers have better balance to their offense, and a play much tougher brand of team defense. This should be a good series to watch, and with teams this evenly matched, coaching may be the difference, and Indiana's Rick Carlisle is one of the best.

Key match up - Jermaine O'Neal & Antoine Walker. Talk about a contrast in styles. JO is a prototypical low post scorer, with plenty of moves, and the ability to use both hands around the basket. Whereas Toine is much more versatile, can push the ball up the court, hit a 3, or use his underrated passing skills to get his teammates open looks. JO must take it right at Toine and try to get him in foul trouble. While Toine needs to try and run JO into the ground so he's out of gas in crunch time.

Prediction - Indiana is far too tenacious a group to let Reggie Miller go out in the first round. Pacers in 6.

Washington v Chicago - This series may not hold the casual fan's interest, but to a die hard, this one will be very interesting. Neither team has any substantial playoff experience, but both squads are loaded with talented young players eager to prove themselves. The Wizards like to play offense, and the Bulls play some serious defense. Washington will want to run and gun, and get the score into the 100's. It's up to Chicago to make sure their transition defense is up to snuff. Bulls' rookie Andres Nocioni is a very pesky defender, that is going to need to use all his tricks to contain Antawn Jamison. The Wiz' size advantage in the back court could be the deciding factor.

Key match up - Gilbert Arenas & Kirk Hinrich. These two guys have completely different approaches to running a team. Gil prefers to shoot first, ask questions later. Kirk is cut out of the more traditional mold of pass first PG's. Hinrich is an underrated defender, but he is going to be sorely tested by Arenas' quickness off the dribble and scoring ability. Gil is a lazy defender that likes to gamble. Captain Kirk has the jumper to make GA pay, and the smarts to frustrate the mercurial Arenas as well.

Prediction - This one could go either way, but I'll go with Washington because they are in better shape injury wise. Wiz in 6.

WEST

Memphis v Phoenix - These two teams played four very competitive and entertaining games this season. The Grizzlies have the personnel to match up with the Suns, and can flourish playing an up tempo style too. The problem for Memphis is that no team runs as well as Phoenix does, so it's important for the Griz to not get caught up in a run and gun contest with the Suns. Memphis needs to make sure they get back on defense as quickly as they can at all times, because Phoenix will run a fast break on them after a made basket if the Griz get lazy. The Suns just need to play the style of ball that got them this far, and avoid trying to be something they're not.

Key match up - Pau Gasol & Shawn Marion. Gasol needs to step up and take his game to the next level already. Having Marion on him for the majority of the time should give him ample opportunity to display his post moves, and prove he's a big time player. The Matrix will use his quickness to beat Pau down the floor on offense, and frustrate him on defense.

Prediction - I think Phoenix comes out with a rather large chip on their shoulder to prove all of their critics wrong. Suns in 5.

Denver v San Antonio - The Nuggets have won an amazing 85.7% of their games since the All-Star break (24-4). I think that qualifies as being on a roll. Denver has the bulk up front in Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin, Nene, and Francisco Elson to give Tim Duncan all he can handle. On the flip side, the ever annoying Bruce Bowen is almost certain to get under Carmelo Anthony's skin at some point in this series. These two teams match up surprisingly well. I give the Spurs the edge on the defensive end, while the Nugs get the nod on offense. They even prefer to play at basically the same pace. This is going to be a very intense and competitive series.

Key match up - Greg Buckner / Wesley Person & Manu Ginobili. Denver's weakness all year has been the SG position, and Manu is going exploit it on a nightly basis in this series. Buckner is the better defender, but he is a liability on offense, meaning Ginobili can roam free and gamble for steals as much as wants to. On the other hand, Manu will have stay home on the 3 point specialist Person, but there's no way in the world Wes can even come close to checking Ginobili on defense.

Prediction - San Antonio's playoff experience and Tim Duncan will be the difference here. Spurs in 7.

Sacramento v Seattle - This should be a good series, but for all the wrong reasons. Neither team has been playing anywhere near their best ball recently Both of these squads have been struggling with injuries, and seemingly peaked long ago. That said, this should be an entertaining, high octane, defense optional series from the opening tip. The Kings need to play a more half court oriented grind it out type of style, which they are capable of, so the Sonics aren't able to get into a flow on offense. If Seattle is somehow able to regain their early season swagger, that would be huge for them. The deciding factor in this series will be which players are able to play, and how effective they can be when they are out there.

Key match up - Peja Stojakovic & Rashard Lewis. These two guys play almost exactly the same type of game, with two exceptions. Rashard needs to exploit his talent in the post and get Stojakovic out of the game by putting fouls on him. While Peja has to use his ability to move without the ball so Lewis doesn't have his legs under his jumper in the 4th quarter.

Prediction - Tough call, but Seattle is just the healthier club right now. Sonics in 7.

Houston v Dallas - This is going to be a great series pitting two of the hottest teams in the league at the end of the season in a Texas two-step (couldn't resist). I don't buy into the theory that the Rockets are more prepared for the playoffs because of the style they played all year long. The Mavericks' defense is better equipped then ever to battle it out in a half court setting. Of course, it does probably benefit Dallas if the tempo is faster rather then slower, but they can succeed either way. Houston will have no answers for Dirk Nowitzki, while the Mavs will be able to bring players in waves to defend Tracy McGrady. The Rockets will need their guards to play consistently, and have their team defense functioning at it's highest level.

Key match up - Yao Ming & Erick Dampier. Yao has really picked up his play over the last month of the season, and that could be a problem for Dallas, as Damp has a tendency to be foul prone. When Erick's head is into the game, he has the bulk and quickness to defend Yao relatively well. Damp also has a decent mid-range jumper to draw Yao away from the basket, and open up the middle for the rest of the Mavs. Yao needs to play smart when he helps on defense to avoid his own foul trouble.

Prediction - Dallas' superior depth will be the difference. Mavs in 7.

Final Top 10
1. Dallas (2)
2. Phoenix (1)
3. Detroit (3)
4. Houston (6)
5. Miami (5)
6. San Antonio (4)
7. Denver (7)
8. Sacramento (8)
9. Indiana (-)
10. Chicago (-)

NHL Week in Review By: Ed Wasser

- Some weeks I got it and some weeks I don't and this week I don't. This will be a short entry, my well is a little dry this week.

- The NHL powers that be have backed off their threat to use replacement players. You know at this stage of the game they might as well just use replacement players because I'm not even sure I would even remember what half the guys in the NHL look like anymore. Seriously, if I was at a party and a guy said "hi, I'm Robert Esche of the Flyers" I would wonder if it was a goof or if it was the real guy.

- I thought that nothing could replace the feeling of glee I got from watching the New York Rangers going down in flames for the past 5 years but I gotta tell you all, watching the Yankees implode this year is almost just as fun. Oh...by the way, I HATE THE YANKEES!!! Just wanted to let you know. I know it's early and things could turn around at any time and they did win yesterday but so far the Yankees look old and uninspired. But the best part about these players that are coming up so small for the Yankees is they're just about ungetridofable (new word). So they're stuck with Mussina and Giambi for a while.

- Speaking of going down in flames anybody see the Phillies attendance lately? 20,000 and change at last week's business person's special against the Rockies. And that was on a beautiful day. The most ridiculous thing was listening to the Comcast pundits claim the reason for the putrid attendance is because the park is hard to in and out of because they still have parking issues. Huh? People didn't let that stop them from going to Eagles and Sixers games in droves. The Phillies are a laughing stock.

- Clemente runs in the 8th race at Philadelphia Park tomorrow. The race goes off around 3:20 PM and as usual David Mello will be at the helm. Clemente's going 6.5 furlongs because his training for going long distances (mile or more) hasn't been going so hot. A full recap will be in next week's MMM.

Comments?
saurinmeht@aol.com
dsura@peacehealth.org
ewwasser@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home