Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Monday Morning Mehta 12/26/06

Edition # 190
December 26, 2006

www.mondaymorningmehta.com

www.nba-jam.blogspot.com

NEXT MMM: January 2, 2007 (not 2006)

EAGLES/NFL

Wow. Quite frankly I'm downright speechless after the Eagles completed their 3 game divisional road sweep with a Christmas Day beat down of the Dallas Cowboys, 23-7. But I'll muster up a few words and pearls of wisdom. Game Positives:

- The Offensive Line. To say that the Eagles dominated is an understatement. A guy that has gotten no mention this year, which is a great thing for an O-lineman is Jon Runyan. The guy has been great. Shawn Andrews? He's one of the game's best guards and the best is yet to come.

- Running the ball. 34 runs to Westbrook and Buckhalter. Even if you take Garcia's 7 runs and call them pass plays, that's 34 runs (I won't even count the hand off to Tapeh a play) and 30 passes. Better than 50/50. Oh man. Marty Morningwhig must read MMM!

- The 3 points at the end of the half. Any momentum Dallas had was thrwarted by a nice drive at the end of the half with 30 seconds left. Now, G-Lew certainly scared me as he tiptoed the sidelines looking at the clock (because those "hometown" clock operators have a bad habit of little a second tick off before they stop the clock. But nonetheless, great job by Garcia, Westbrook, and everyone.

- Jeff Garcia. This is Garcia's 4th straight week here. I don't even know what else to say besides, yes, I was dead wrong. Hey, I can admit, see. And I'll gladly keep admitting every single week he's on here (hopefull all the way through the first Monday in February and as I'm on Broad Street (Ok, I know, I know, I getting out of control but that's what Iggle fans do).


Game Negatives:

- Owens not hurting himself??? Actually, maybe that's a positive. If he got hurt, he'd probably use that as an excuse. Honestly, what exactly can even the most cynical of Eagle fan, find wrong with a 23-7 beatdown of Dallas, IN DALLAS, on Christmas Day?

The Eagles now stand at 9-6 and in the drivers seat for the #3 seed in the NFC. The # 3 seed is an excellent place to be, and this is why next week's game versus the Falcons is huge. A win? Eagles get a home game vs. the # 6 seed (Giants, GB, StL, Car). A loss and a Dallas win (over Detroit)? They'll be the # 5 seed and travel to Seattle against a likely rested Seahawk team. Home game vs. Game in Seattle? Choice is easy for me. Kick the shiest out of Atlanta!

Some players definitely worthy of Game positives: Quintin Mikell, Matt Schoebel and the whole defense. I really question Dallas's game plan, as they didn't seem to want to establish any sort of ground game, but I guess the rush defense deserves plenty of credit after the bashing they've taken the last 2 months.
Around the League

How bad are the Colts? Giving up 150 yards to Ron Dayne is grounds for being stripped of a playoff spot.

How good is Vince Young? Titans clinch a playoff spot with a win, a Cincy loss, a Denver loss, and a KC WIN.

The playoff scenarios are a plenty. Pretty easy in the AFC. Four division winners are set, with some seeding jockeying for next week. Jets & Broncos win and they're in. If they lose, all heck breaks loose.

NFC? Bizarre picture. No team really controls their own destiny. The Giants and Green Bay have the best scenario. It's likely going to come down to how many points the Packers can beat the Bears by, if they win. It could be that wild if the Giants beat Washington on Saturday night in DC. If not, St. Louis is then involved and all heck breaks loose.


I'd really like to write some more, but my noon deadline is approaching. Also, I can't remember anything else to say. See you next year!! HAHAHAAHAHAA (How many times will you/have you heard that ridiculously old line...)

NHL Week in Review By : Ed Wasser

- A little house keeping to start off. There won't be an NHL Week in Review next week because I'll be on assignment in Tampa covering the Lightning vs. Canadiens game on Saturday. So when I get back I'll give you a full review of a stadium most of you will never visit and a sport most of you don't even like.

- I found a cool website. It's www.pleasesellthebruins.com. The site is dedicated to Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs who is one of, if not thee, worst owners in all of sports. Check it out, it's got some funny stuff.

- The Isle of Capri is a gambling company that was trying to get a slot machine license from the state of Pennsylvania and told everyone who would listen, including the mayor of Pittsburgh and governor of Pennsylvania, that if they got the license they would build a $295 million arena for the Penguins and a possible NBA franchise completely free of cost to the tax payers. Seemed like a slam dunk right? The Isle of Capri didn't get the license. Why? Because it would have made too much sense that's why. Ahhhh....you gotta love politics!! So the Penguins are pretty much history in Pittsburgh. And speaking of gambling, guess what city is making a play for the Penguins? Vegas baby!!! I hope it happens. I think it would be GREAT for the league.

- The Flyers are falling apart faster then Jani Lane on "Celebrity Fit Club". It's going to be tough but I'm thinking that the Flyers could go 0 for December. They still have 3 games remaining in the month, all away, against the Panthers, Lightning, and Hurricanes. That Panthers game will be a tough one to lose but I have confidence the Flyers can pull it off. The Flyers almost beat the Hurricanes last week but once again, proving that close only counts in hand grenades and slow dancing, they blew it. The Flyers lost 2-1. Then the Flyers almost beat the Canadiens. Almost. They lost that game 4-2. So just to make sure that the Flyers fans didn't start to get their hopes up the Senators came to Philadelphia and dismantled the home town boys 6-3. Flyer defenseman Derian Hatcher had a horrific turnover that lead to a goal and was greeted with an avalanche of boos from the crowd and from me sitting at a bar. Even drunk I can tell Hatcher is awful. Oh...and remember when I said the Flyers are the kings of the meaningless trades? Well trust me I said it. The Flyers just got Mike York from the Islanders for Randy Robitaille. Why? I dunno. It's a waste of time lateral move. Mike York's best years were when he played with Wayne Gretzky so unless the Flyers get him to come out of retirement I'd say he'll give little to the effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home